Same Day & Weekend Emergency Appointments Available

Learn More

Understanding The Dangers of Faulty Electrical Lines

An appliance after it caught on fire at a local home

Although it may seem like no big deal to some, a faulty electrical line can be extremely dangerous. Every homeowner should take this into account, and be wary when dealing with the electricity in their home. This is one situation where a DIY project can not only be done incorrectly, but can be fatally harmful as well.

The facts

 appliance fire

The fact is: the electrical in your home may cause more problems than you realize. There are over twenty six thousand fires a year caused by faulty electrical wiring. The damage from these instances runs close to $1 billion. Don’t let yourself become part of these statistics, take care of faulty electrical lines with the help of an electrician.

Most electrical fires are caused by fixed wiring problems. This is a direct result of faulty electrical outlets, old wiring that hasn’t been updated as it should have been, and plugs. There are a few things you can do on your own to prevent or prepare for these problems. Past these procedures, it is crucial to know when to call for professional help.

Precautions to take

 appliance fire2

Here are a few things that you can do to the electrical in your home, and a few that require the help of a professional. Be sure to distinguish between the two in your own home:

  • Check the appliances in your home, and the wiring on a regular basis. If there are any cords that have been damaged, replace them as soon as possible. Do not try to fix them yourself.
  • Avoid using extension cords when plugging things in. If you have a small appliance that isn’t in use, unplug it.
  • Make sure the electrical in your home is grounded. This is crucial, and something many people overlook. It will not only protect you from an electrical shock, but your appliances as well. If you have an appliance with three prongs, never stick it into a plug that is designed for two.
  • Have an electrician address any problems associated with the fuse blowing repeatedly, a tingling feeling when touching an electrical appliance, flickering lights, or sparks from a wall outlet.
  • Problems can arise even from those who are most diligent. Rather than taking a risk, have fire alarms installed to your home. If there is a problem with the electrical, this will help you fix the problem as soon as possible.

Don’t take any risks when it comes to the electrical components in your home. If you have a problem, call us at Black Diamond Electric. We can help you diagnose the problem, and get it mended safely. A faulty electrical line is nothing to mess around with, get it taken care of as soon as possible.

Skip to content